Friday, March 27, 2009

Did you know? ...

*I have never seen my favourite bird of all time. It hails from the land of Mauritius. Legend has it that they stayed so long on the uninhabited island that it forgot how to fly. Soon, the ungainly bird became an easy source of meat for ravenous sailors arriving from the Spice Islands (now Indonesia) to harvest the island's ebony forests and palm trees. They soon named the bird doudo, which meant simpleton. When they left Mauritius, the trees were almost gone and the large, flightless bird was no more. All hail the DODO! (I really don't know what this says about me)






















*There are no polar bears living at the South Pole?

*WWF was once used as an acronym for World Wrestling Federation (go Batista!) until of course the World Wildlife Fund sued Vince McMahon and his inherited wrestling empire and won. Wrestling is now WWE.

*On Saturday, March 28, 2009, the World Wildlife Fund is sponsoring Earth Hour. It's a global event wherein we are asked to turn off our lights for just 1 hour starting at 8:30 pm to collectively make a statement about climate change and saving our planet. Won't you join us?









*Have a Conscious Friday.

11 comments:

Operaton You said...

No, no and no. Good and interesting stuff. I can do Earth Hour.. Sure! That's right up my alley... Well, that raised my conscious level!

Anonymous said...

Yes-ish? (I knew the facts about the Dodo, but I didn't know it was your favorite bird! Mine is the bluebird. Or the Ring-necked pheasant. or the cardinal. Or the robin. Yes, I always am this decisive!)

Yes (I love both facts and polar bears. In fact, my high school mascot was the polar bear).

No. I always wondered why (and when!) wrestling changed from WWF. And can I just say that I LOVE that wildlife won out over big, sweaty men for a change?

And yes! I've already been trying to decide what to do with my hour. Does reading by flashlight still count?

ELK said...

i have learned so much from you today...off for the weekend but wanted to say thanks for your support and comments...they mean a lot! ELK

christina said...

Dave Batista is lovely! Oh so lovely!
xo

SE'LAH... said...

Thanks to all for taking part in Conscious Friday!

I enjoy and appreciate your visit and comments.

One Love, Se'Lah

Gayle said...

Yes, we will join you in Earth Hour! My youngest son came home from school talking about it today.

Unknown said...

I knew I liked something about you. :) Dodo. :) Such a fun word to say. :)

margie said...

my other half is a climate change expert so we are definitely on track for earth hour. i am looking forward to a candlelit evening. the big debate is the music. will we have to turn it off for an hour? will it be cheating if we keep on listening?

spread your wings said...

thanks for the reminder about earth hour - i will turn the lights out - no computer either.

btw, i have a hard time posting to some blogs - yours is one of them and I don't understand why. I always have to switch over to safari (i usually use firefox)

sunnymama said...

We took part in Earth Hour last night and it was so nice to spend an hour by candlelight we're going to switch of the lights regularly now! Loved the Dodo facts, I'm learning so much by blogging and visiting blogs!

sunnymama said...

Also, some people were unable to comment on my blog when I had the comment form in this format (under the post) so I changed the format to a seperate page comment form and they're able to now.