Friday, April 17, 2009

Conscious Friday: Equal Rights...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"...MLK, Jr.

This week, I learned of a disturbing incident of police brutality of students on the campus of Colby College in Waterville, ME. The students were then arrested and charged with criminal trespass and assault. Their very future now lies in the balance.

I simply urge each of you to review the following news articles and especially the video footage of a portion of the incident. WARNING: The video contains graphic violence upon the students.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-244430

http://necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/04/14/Colby-students-rally-after/1239745979.html

http://exceptionmag.com/news/law/000661/police-brutality-colby-college-maine-caught-tape

While I understand the civil legal ramifications faced by the college, some times, people need to do the "right" thing. Some times, the right thing is not blurry at all. Some times, when an unpleasant situation presents itself, the best course of action is to face it head on in pursuit of truth and justice rather than wandering down the dark road of self-preservation. In the end, what's done in the dark will always come to light. Well, the light is on. What do you see?

Calling out for "Equal Rights and Justice"...

*Peter Tosh: Equal Rights


*Have a Conscious Friday and a divine weekend.

8 comments:

sunnymama said...

These videos are very shocking. I'm heartened by the other students' response though.

Operaton You said...

Jeez...that was really uncomfortable for me to watch. It looks like excessive force to me. I'm like sunnymama, the pleas of the voices in the video touched my heart.

I am really conscious and understand why I promote peace!

Thank you for bringing such difficult things to present. We must deal with these types of issues head on, as you said.

Operaton You said...

P.S. Happy Conscious Friday...

margie said...

this certainly hits close to home, in 2001 my daughter was arrested coming off a bus going to the ontario coalition against poverty rally in toronto. no charges were laid against her but she was detained for nine hours in a police wagon with four men, no food, no water, handcuffed and no washroom privileges. sarah brought a formal complaint against the toronto police that resulted in the installation of a "mass arrest policy" that addresses issues of accountability and supervision of detained persons. pursuit of truth and justice. always.

sunnymama said...

I forgot to leave my Conscious Friday link:
And how are the children?Thank you for spreading consciousness and I hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

Gayle said...

The video had me in tears. These are college students, still children in my eyes. I couldn't help viewing this through a mother's eyes. But as sunnymama and vchelle said, the pleading of other students in the background was touching.

Wanda said...

Sometimes consciousness is very painful. Please, let it move us to peace.

Love.

Unknown said...

Wow! I hate to see situations like this!