Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gift of Jewels: symbols of love...



*Enkutatash means the "gift of jewels". When Makeda, Queen of Sheba returned from her expensive jaunt to visit King Solomon in Jerusalem, her chiefs welcomed her bolts by replenishing her treasury with inku or jewels. The spring festival has been celebrated since this early times and as the rains come to their abrupt end, dancing and singing can be heard at every village in the green countryside. But Enkutatash is not exclusively a religious holiday. Today's Enkutatash is also the season for exchanging formal new year greetings and cards among the urban sophisticated - in lieu of the traditional bouquet of flowers.


~ ~ ~

As many of us enjoy the warm days of summer, our friends on the other side of the world will soon emerge from long cold days of winter, with a spring festival like no other on September 11th. Last year, we joined in celebrating this historic annual event with a modified pen pal project and exchanged personalised greeting cards through the post with kindred spirits from at least 15 different countries across the globe. For good measure, and because we abide by absolutely no rules here in my necessary room, we continued this party well into the winter. (I imagine that Queen Makeda wouldn't mind us practising love a little more often throughout the year ;)

The *gift of jewels* project has been such a rewarding and uplifting experience for me personally, and I am always honoured when i get an opportunity for our spirits to connect.

Well my dear friends, it's that time again, to celebrate love and life as a new year approaches. For those interested, won't you please join me in sending a randomly selected person a greeting card in the post. It can be personally hand-crafted, a photocard, photograph, or even a purchased postcard or greeting card. We must all agree, however, to honour our commitment because some loving soul will be eagerly awaiting your card's arrival.

If you wish to participate in the *gift of jewels* project, please leave a comment on this post by August 20, 2010.

All participants should also email me directly at necessaryroom@gmail.com with their snail mail address and preferred blog link. I will randomly select the intended recipient of your jewel from amongst the registered participants. You will receive a personal email from me shortly after the registration deadline with your secret recipient's information. As always, no two people will have each other, so you'll just have to wait and see where your jewel will come from? For the shy at heart, you can certainly send your jewel anonymously if you wish ;) Please know that your information will not be shared with anyone other than the person selected to send your *gift of jewels*.

hand-written letters arrive in my mailbox
oh, how they warm my soul
i walk mindfully upon this earth
treasuring always your symbols of love
holding each one, so near to my heart.


All *gift of jewels* should be postmarked on or before September 11, 2010, the Ethiopian New Year.

Won't you please join me in spreading love around the world?
~ ~ ~
If you'd like to:

*read more about the *gift of jewels* project, please visit here and here.

*peruse the list of past participants, please visit here and here.

*see examples of the *gift of jewels* previously shared, please visit here and here.

65 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Oh goodie! I am the first to sign up. For sure include me. I love receiving and giving "a gift of jewels".

rayfamily said...

I can't wait! So honored to be able to participate in this year's gift of jewels!

tracey k in ohio said...

WooHoo!! Another jewels project; Count me IN :-)

kamana said...

oh yes. count me in.

Operaton You said...

Of course I will join in on sending love! Glad to be a part of GOJ, always!

Love you for helping us to send peace!

Joyti said...

Wow, that is a really great idea. I will be sure to read up on it and probably sign up too. :)

A Box of Chocolates said...

Of course of course it's great fun put me in please
love

Chris said...

I'd love to be a part of this wonderful experience, so count me in! I'd love to connect with someone elsewhere in the world.

Natty said...

Yey! Another one :)
IN!!!
****
Natty

Birdie said...

I'm in, so excited :-) one love and hugs!

Baracka said...

Good morning, please sign me up... looking forward to participate..... one love....

Gail said...

Hi
oh yes, I so would love to be part of this loving act of kindness. :-) I look forward to hearing from you.

Love Gail
peace and hope......

christina said...

this makes me smile... no beam! : )

please include me, my friend.
: )

Tracy said...

So happy... so excited! I would be delighted to be on the list to send a LOT of LOVE to someone, somewhere... LOVE to you, my friend :o) ((BIG HUGS))

Connie said...

clappping hands :) you know I want to play!!! thanks for hosting this again.

Cam said...

I'm all in, friend...

Lyn said...

Count me in! Can't wait.

Darcel said...

You know I'm in. Can't wait!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Of course! I want to join in please.
Thank you for doing this.
xo jj

Gayle said...

Count me in, too! So excited for it!

margie said...

i'm in.

Elizabeth said...

Hej Se'Lah,

Just got back from Norway and saw that you are organizing a new gift of Jewels. Since I love to make something beautiful for another peace-minded soul and don't mind to receive the gesture back I say: Please count me in.

Have a lovely evening.

julochka said...

I'm a bit behind (blame it on the interviews) but I'm in!

you're so awesome to do this!

xox,
/j

PinkInklings said...

Yup,I'm in :)

God Whispers said...

(((Se'lah)))
Your projects sound interesting.

Lisa Johnson said...

Count me in! I love how you do these events! Like a breath of fresh air. : )

Toni said...

Count me in, Se'Lah! Too fun. =)

iasa said...

wouldn't miss it!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Please, please includ me. I particpated last year and I really enjoyed it! xxoo

Lynne said...

me tooo, please! I'd love to be included

Cindy said...

Se'lah count me in, I would love to be part of this. I will email you my address. one love. have a great week.

Kim Mailhot said...

I was away when you first posted this ! So glad you had a reminder today. I am in, of course, LOvely Jeweled One !

Brian Miller said...

what a cool thing...birdie sent me over...count me in as well...email you shortly...

GailO said...

Please include me Se'lah...:)

Umā said...

Me too, finally getting around to committing ; ) !

Teresa O said...

Dear Se'LAH..What a lovely thing to do. Please include me in the gift of jewels project.

Have a wonderful day!

Shani said...

Greetings Se'LAH, thanks for the heads up. It would be a privilege to participate again :)

Limner said...

Hello! I love the very idea of sending a lovely greeting card to someone I don't know. Receiving one will be just as exciting. Please sign me up. Your project is a wonderful way to keep the art of the handwritten note alive and strong.

Beverley Baird said...

Thank you so much for letting me know about this new exchange. I lobved the last one. Please sign me up.

aliceinparis said...

I would love to participate, thanks:)

mamahasspoken said...

I made a new great blogging and now facebook friend doing this! Sign me up again!

amelia said...

yay! loved this the first time, count me in!

Suvarna said...

glad I got here just in time! count me in
xo

Shannon said...

I am definitely in! This is such a lovely project. Can't wait to find out who my gift will be for.

S

MiSspOetiCk. said...

count me in.

kate i said...

Yes, count me in too...I had so much fun with this last year!

Meredith said...

Oh, yes, please, I'd love to join in, welcoming the Queen back to her throne with my little offering. :)

EsLocura said...

It sounds very lovely and I would like to participate,from way over here on my side of the big blue.

Paula said...

Yes, please!

Sharon said...

Se'lah, please count me in!

scj said...

I would love to be a part of this again. Please count me in. Thank you for organising it.!

Elizabeth Halt said...

Hey, my dear! I am in! Thank you for organizing. :)

Carol said...

yes, please

katrina lauren said...

i love this idea. is there anything better than finding a little card in the mail...it always brightens my day! i would love to be a part of this project!!
xo.
k

Anyes said...

Such a beautiful tradition, Count me in...

Kathy said...

this sounds like too much fun to pass up, please count me in.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I'm in! Woohoo...i finally made it...hehe.

Sometimes Sophia said...

Count me in... and a huge thank you for organizing this beautiful event.

Betsy Brock said...

me, too!! :)

Kelli said...

I would love to join in.
Thank you for organizing this.

Eunice said...

I would love to be included in the 'gift of jewels' project! What a lovely idea...

Visually Oriented said...

I would love to be involved as well!

- Angie

SarahKate said...

I would love to play! What a beautiful idea!!

Samosas for One said...

I would like to join!

Anonymous said...

OH, I'm too late, but this is a great idea!