Monday, September 20, 2010

on a nature walk...

In case you've been wondering, I have not fallen off the face of the earth (even though the earth is round...at least that's what they tell me). But no, I have been out on a walking meditation, with a few of my friends.  waving at titi and m.heart.

(click on photos to enlarge)
As we walked mindfully through the labyrinth, trying not to get lost, it wasn't long before we were distracted by the intricately woven webs surrounding us.  My inquisitive daughter blew softly inside the entrance, and out sprang this spider.  It was quite territorial and uninviting so we decided it was probably a good time to walk on.
So we did.



Inching along the ground, at top caterpillar speed, was this furry little friend.  So I wouldn't scare him, I bent down as low as I could go, getting real up close and personal.  I asked him in my softest voice, what's the rush little fella?, but he didn't answer.  So we walked on.



My daughter decided to tuck this shy, little cricket in m.heart's waist for safe-keeping.  You can barely see it, but believe me, it's in there.  These are the things you must endure when your daughter loves bugs.




Yes, that's a teeny, tiny baby grasshopper getting ready to spring into action...but still nothing compared to her most treasured find of this summer...




cool, huh?


one love.

24 comments:

Anyes said...

Yes, very cool indeed...
What a walk it must have been! I might come along next time ;-)
Awesome critters photographs.

Glad to know you did not fall off the earth...

Gail said...

Hi Se'Lah

lovely walk with fascinating discoveries. Your pictures capture the essence of it all. I so enjoyed going along. :-)

Love to you my friend
Gail
peace. hope and healing......

Sharon said...

This sweet post could be developed into a children's book!

Hugs, Sharon

Suvarna said...

oh that is sweet! what a marvelous collection of creatures! My son and I found a tomato hornworm the other day, It still lives on our balcony! I am encouraging him to return it to the wilds so it may pupate and turn into a lovely moth!

Umā said...

I'm surprised some of those critters didn't ride home in my bag (or my clothes)! So fun.

That's a great shot of the spider!

A Box of Chocolates said...

the cutest little bugs, but me holding a grasshopper never gonna happen,

Kass said...

Carefully holding a grasshopper is such a skill!

margie said...

one love back.

PinkInklings said...

I wish, with all my heart, that both you and your daughter should someday find a stick-bug. 'Tis a wonder to be shared, and you both deserve it : )

Elisabeth said...

Sounds like a wonderful walk here. What a sharp eye you have for these little critters. Thanks.

Chris said...

Beautiful thoughts, beautiful pictures! I love the last one especially!!!!

Tracy said...

Thank for this nature walk, my friend... I feel so refreshed and in wonderment! :o) ((BIG HUGS))

Cindy said...

Thanks for the walk Se'lah, reminds me of a time when we were overun by grasshoppers at the farm and they destroyed the crops. This was quite a few years back. take care.

Connie said...

great photos! my grandson frequently "gathers" lizards and ladybugs from the garden...he ran in the other day and said we had a Comedian Dragon Lizard in the backyard. (it is actually a skink)

Anyes said...

I am glad to report I received today a beautiful vintage postcard, my very own *Gift of Jewel* from Cam at http://www.journeywildly.com/. Thank you, Cam I love it!

Se'lah, I thank you for reconnecting me with my forgotten love of hand-written cards and all things paper...

christina said...

this is love, sheer love.

Toni said...

Your daughter is braver than I am! Grasshoppers give me the heebie-jeebies. Fantastic photos!

Gayle said...

I have a daughter that is a bug lover, too! Love it, and love them!

Baracka said...

beautiful pictures. it sounds like it was a very adventureous walk indeed... one love....

Tracey said...

Wow! great post & brave daughter! (LOL!) I'm w/Toni - grasshoppers make me run faster than I knew I could.

honey & sage said...

LOL! yes, *very* cool.
love the shots too. great angles.

Operaton You said...

Oh how I wish I was able to withstand bugs like that. That is soooo cool! Beautiful photos.

SE'LAH... said...

Thanks so much for all the sweet comments...it's really amazing connecting with beings smaller than ourselves. try it sometime, even if you're not naturally inclined to.

one love.

Elizabeth Halt said...

Wow. I've never looked at a cricket that closely. Amazing.