Wednesday, March 17, 2010

slave revolts + irish heritage + spring...

some would agree that one thing people enjoy most about the Caribbean, besides its white sandy beaches, warm turquoise water, heaven in the tropics surroundings is the alcoholic beverages. i was born on a small island in the Caribbean. one you will not find on most maps. despite being devastated by a volcano which rumbled to life after 400 years and decimated most of the island in her wake, today we, the black irish, living home and abroad, are celebrating the unique union of slave revolts and irish heritage. this celebration has taken place since the 17th of march, 1798, which makes Montserrat, the emerald isle of the Caribbean, the only country in the world, besides Ireland, to celebrate St. Patrick's Day as a national holiday. would ya hand me ma green beer please? lol.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

*
today, i spent time with my camera, Nikki. we found a little sign of spring. i always welcome Mother Spring, but she always leaves me breathless. literally. so i have been meditating. simply enjoying the last days of effortless breathing i will have for months to come. (exhaling).


WELCOME SPRING!

one love.

12 comments:

Gayle said...

What an interesting history for such a tiny island. I had no idea. Happy St. Patrick's Day! I totally love the beautiful crocus photo! I hope that your breathing stays easy and free this spring and summer.

ELK said...

oh i celebrate with you today . the blooms . the history . the love

Kim Mailhot said...

Wishing you and Nikki many sweet adventures, and a spring with as few irritants as possible. Taking in deep breaths for you here...
One Love, lovely Se'lah !

Tracy said...

What a fascinating and sad history of your island, Se'Lah... these blooms give the heart hope! :o) LOVE you, my friend ((BIG HUGS))

kath said...

And your Irish friend Kathleen (whose mother's family hails from the County Cork) wishes you belatedly a top o' the mornin'

xo

Wanda said...

I'll take a beer of any color...almost. :)

suzanna said...

wonderful! spring is making me so giddy.

A Box of Chocolates said...

oh I never knew that Se'Lah what history you have. Sorry about the asthma yuk, be careful and breathe carefully. Happy too that your Grandma has finally gone home.

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

I enjoyed learning about your wonderful Irish history as being Irish is something I'm very proud of!

What a beautiful pic of spring!

Love and blessings,
Robin

Toni said...

I had no clue, Se'Lah! I hope you had a fantastic St. Patty's Day!!

Operaton You said...

I love hearing about your home and I think it's such a cool thing of knowing a "black Irish! Cool! Cool!

I could just rest my head in the flower if it was strong enough to hold it!

Beautiful photo!

sunnymama said...

Your pictures are stunning! You and your camera make a good team! :)