Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sundown at Baker's Hill...










Miss Mno stood approximately six feet tall. Her mere presence commanded undivided attention and respect. Though she towered above most men in height and ability, she was a tender soul deep inside. She chose to reveal portions of her inner self to me, her young impressionable grandchild. I could not have understood the impact it would have on my life.

She taught me how to be confident, strong, independent, competitive, intelligent, and loyal, among other notable virtues. Above all, however, I learned how to adapt to, and survive, the fluidity of life regardless of personal circumstances. I began to realise, as I enterred womanhood, that I had also subconsciously learned much about the fragility of the human spirit. This very thing drove a grandmother to create a "necessary room" with her granddaughter --- a momentary pause, when time actually stood still, and she could lay down her burdens and find peace within.

We developed sort of a routine at dusk. I remember sitting outside watching flocks of birds fly home to roost. They would take the same path at the same time every day. We would stare out at the expansive ocean, watching the golden sun disappear beyond the horizon while we listened to the radio station broadcast from the next island sign off for the night. (Yes, in those days, radio stations actually signed off at a decent hour.) I wondered where in the world the sun would go next and tried to imagine what life was like for the people there. How I dreamed to leave my little island and explore the world.

My grandmother was a bonafide world traveller so to quench my thirst for this knowledge, she would tell me stories of the far away lands she had visited. She was a great storyteller so I listened intently, careful not to miss a single detail. For years, I lived vicariously through these stories, transporting myself to these far away places via my imagination until the day came when I was able to travel beyond the shores of Montserrat.

*Enjoy Mama's favourite song: Shirley Caesar "No Charge"


One Love, Se'Lah

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How different is the now? Although childhood is often charged with sadness (parents seperating, family members passing on), there are times that childhood is glorious. Through your words, I can see the sunset of which you write. I can feel the safety and the innocent trusting that you felt with your grandmother. It's weird that we don't remember the life lessons such as they are but after reflection. Undoubtedly, your grandmother would say that it is important to care for others but only after many years reflecting on this can we really know the desired impact of those words.
Your beauty comes from this.

e

Operaton You said...

Not only did she gave you hope and the desire to be excited about life, but she gave you presence - her presence. That far exceeds any words that she said and that's why you are who you are. It was necessary and I'm in love with Miss Mno myself. Thanks for allowing me to sit on the window sill and see Montserrat through your Being. I'm so intrigued by that place now.

Shalet said...

Thank you for the story. Happy Love Thursday!

Shangrila said...

Thank you for sharing your memory of lovely moments with your grandmother. It caused my heart to ache (in a good way), thinking of my Nana...and how I miss her! Happy Love Thursday! <3

Anonymous said...

I miss my grandmother. They love telling stories and we use to love listening, at least me.

Anonymous said...

I meant to comment on this the last time I was here...you were very blessed to have such an amazing presence in your life and a unique childhood. Undoubtedly the reason you've made it this far girl! When you're feeling challenged, remember these roots!!