Saturday, April 25, 2009

Make Way, Adventure...

One of our favourite classic books is Robert McCloskey's Make Way For Ducklings. I recommend this 1942 Caldecott Medal book for any child's library. Making the words in that book come to real life for my daughter has been an incredibly memorable experience that I will cherish for always. I now share with you a few moments of solace from our "Make Way For Ducklings" adventure.

Accompanied by her two cousins, my daughter curiously followed me single file through the streets of downtown Boston not knowing where we were headed. They were sooooo wired with anxious anticipation I decided to create a game: Let's see how many birds we can find around us. In the back of my head I wondered if they would figure out where we were going...after all, that's a BIG clue (at least for me it is).

My daughter found a duck doorstop on the stoop of someone's brownstone.




















We went inside a Tibetian shoppe. We admired the artistic talents and peered at this runner noticing that every sequin was sewn on by hand.

"That's hard work" my daughter exclaimed. "But isn't it beautiful?".

Yes baby, it is.




















Captivated by the beautiful culture represented in the goods sold in this basement store, I came upon this chandelier.




















My daughter's cousin J pointed out this little birdie.




















J's older brother found a painted duck in a storefront window.




















Within a few minutes, we arrived at the Boston Public Gardens. You all would be so proud of me because I found it on foot by myself sans my trusted Garmin. We made our way to the equally famous Swan Boats rides which just happened to be in the same pond Mrs. Mallard and her ducklings returned that faithful Spring.


















We spent even more time enjoying life in the Boston Public Gardens before it was time to go.


















But we had one more stop to make. And there they were, the historic bronze statues of Mrs. Mallard and her eight little ducklings.




















And I left the gardens with three children walking single file quacking like ducks.





















What was really cool about this trip is that some one stole one of the bronze ducklings, Pack, a few weeks back. The story was all over the local news. Fortunately, the statue was recently recovered and put back in the second-to-last spot behind its mother. It was also our first time visiting the famous landmark after Pack had been reunited with Mrs. Mallard and its brothers and sisters. Can you imagine how scared poor little Pack was during the time he was missing?

*Go ahead. Get your own book. (wink) Click here.
*To review a complete list of Caldecott Medal books from 1938 to present, click here.
*For more information on the Swan Boats, please visit http://www.swanboats.com/.

15 comments:

Suvarna said...

What a great adventure! I can just see all the little ones waddling through the streets of Boston, quacking, a delightful image! This park reminds me of our Stanley park, I've been thinking, we haven't been there in a while, time to get my ducks in a row. Have a lovely weekend and thank you so much for your supportive comments this week.
xo
S

ELK said...

it is a classic for sure & your outing was a learning experience for me...what a blissful day in the public gardens...never been there but now I have through your eyes!

christina said...

This is one of my all time favorite stories! This is a beautiful adventure you had. I can just tell by the amazing photos! Glorious pics!
xo

Wanda said...

McCloskey is great! Many years ago (about 20) I stayed with friends who live across from the swan boats in a beautiful condo. Wow. Our feet have trod the same paths. Imagine that.

Gayle said...

I love the way you told the story of this adventure! I felt like I was right there walking with you, your daughter and her cousins. Your photos are great, too! I don't remember if I have ever read this book. I'll have to look for it in our library.

margie said...

good story and i love the bronze ducks. the weather was glorious here too!!

Operaton You said...

What an absolutely unforgettable adventure this was!!! I, too, love how you played the game with the kids and how you told this story! What a blast! And the photos are gorgeous.. I can't wait for us to go see the bronze ducks when I come to visit.. Thanks for bringing out the cool kid in me...

Have you ever thought about writing a children's book?????

sunnymama said...

How did I miss this absolutely enchanting post yesterday? I'm so pleased I read it now, it was so delightful to accompany you on your day out as you really brought it to life for us. I love how you found all the birds on the way and the Boston Public Gardens look beautiful, what gorgeous trees! The statues are just so cute and lovely and I smiled at the image of your ducklings waddling home. I've never even heard of this book but I just have to get it for sunnyboy now! Thanks for this post, I enjoyed it so much :)

Unknown said...

I am totally impressed that you ventured out without your Garmin AND did not get lost! Your crew did great spotting birds along the way and I love the duck statues!

Sara said...

Fabulous! "Make Way for Ducklings" is one of our favorites around here. How wonderful that you were able to have such an adventure!

Katie in MA said...

How fun! That's one of our favorite family books, too. Reading it to them is one of the fastest ways to make my accent come back. :) (Hey, it's the simple things in life, right?)

Happy Love Thursday!

Unknown said...

That hand sewn sequin runner is beautiful!!! I'd love to take a day to just walk with the kids in the park... so much going on right now, hopefully soon we can slow down a little!

Happy Love Thursday!

Unknown said...

we, too, have and love that book :)

wonderful adventures today - my kind of duck hunting

Cam said...

What an enchanted day!

Happy Love Thursday!!

Shalet said...

I don't know that I've ever read that book. I'll have to check it out. Happy Love Thursday!